Nut-free, Kid friendly, Simple
1. Roll the pastry block to fit a large flan dish (diameter about 20cm). Pick the pastry with a fork all over to avoid bubbles when cooking, place on a baking sheet, then cover and freeze while preparing the apples.
2. Preheat oven to 180C/160C/Gas Mark 4. Put the sugar in a saucepan and place over a medium-high heat. Cook the sugar for 5-7 minutes until it’s a dark amber caramel syrup and it’s starting to smoke. Take it off the heat and whisk in the butter.
3. To assemble the tarte tatin, arrange the apple slices very tightly in a circle around the edge of the dish first, moving inwards in a spiral until the whole fruit is used and the dish covered. Gently press with your hands to ensure there are no gaps. Brush the fruit with the melted butter and sugar.
4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes then remove and place the puff pastry on top. Tuck the edges down the inside of the dish and, with a knife, prick a few holes in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for a further 40-45 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
5. Allow to cool to room temperature for 1 hour before running a knife around the edge and inverting it onto a large serving plate that is deep enough to hold the juices. Serve with vegan cream.
6. In a kitchen mixing bowl, add the vegan cream, icing sugar and vanilla pod. Start whisking until stiff peaks. Use the cream to decorate the tarte tatin the way you like.
1 block Jus Rol puff pastry
(or other vegan, supermarket own brand, check ingredients).
4 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
100g caster sugar
85g dairy-free butter
100g Vegan cream
1 vanilla pod
10g icing sugar